If you use parking meters, you should look at Paybyphone. This app allows you to pay for street parking meters with your smart phone.
To get going do the following:
- Go to your phone app store and download the paybyphone app
- Register for your account
- Put your car(s) license plates in
- Put in you payment info
Here’s how it works:
You park your car and walk up to the parking meter.
Without paybyphone, you would put money or use your credit card to buy parking time. A ticket would be printed and you walk back to your car and put the ticket on the dash. The ticket is also your receipt, if you need one.
With paybyphone, you type the 5 digit paybyphone number into the app, select the amount of time,confirm and a receipt is emailed to you. No need to go back to your car, no need even to go up to the meter if someone is using it as long as you can see the large numbers on the side. You may not even need to get out of your car, if its raining, I’ll use my phone to snap picture of the numbers and then off to my meeting. For me this is already worth the 35 cents fee charged per transactions, but it gets better. Here are some of the additional benefits
- Paybyphone will txt you 10 minutes before your time runs out.
- You can buy more time without going back to the meter, This allows me to use cheaper on street parking for many appointments I would not risk running out of time.
- If you try to buy time that overlaps a no parking time it will tell you. This has saved me a few times
I’ve been using paybyphone for several month now and it has saved me stress and and money. The last time I used paybyphone, it was at a location I’ve always parked in the paid parking lot. It was a client I have in a medical building, I ended up being there for an hour and a half, this would normally have been $7 or $10, depending on which side of the half hour my time fell on. Street parking was available, I paid $3.35 for an hour, went into my appointment, at 50 minutes I was reminded of my parking was running out and paid $1.85 to extend it by 30 minutes. That’s at least a $1.80 savings.
Paybyphone is available in many Canadian and US cities.